This is an industry subject based on the Project Management Institute (PMI®) methodology (as defined by the PMBoK® – Project Management Body of Knowledge) to prepare students for subsequent PMP® (Project Management Professional) or similar certification. In this subject students will look at how to initiate, plan, control and complete projects effectively and ensure that projects are performed to meet objectives within specific cost and time constraints, according to the PMI.
Upon successful completion of this subject, students should:
- be able to critically evaluate the relevance and function of each component of the Project Management Framework;
- be able to devise a process management plan for each of the core project process groups (budget, scope, risk, schedule, resources, quality);
- be able to develop and critically analyse the components of a Master Project Management Plan;
- be able to identify project stakeholders and analyse their influence on a project;
- be able to create a Scope of Work (SoW);
- be able to formulate a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS); and
- be able to describe the PMI® Code of Conduct.
The subject will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to Project Management Principles
- Project Integration Management
- Project Scope Management
- Project Schedule Management
- Project Cost Management
- Project Quality Management
- Project Resource Management
- Project Communications & Stakeholder Management
- Project Risk Management
- Project Procurement Management
You must obtain at least 50% in the total mark in order to pass this subject.
To be eligible for the grade AA you must have submitted all assessment items in the subject. If you choose not to complete an assessment item and receive an overall mark between 45 and 49 then you will not be granted an AA.
Blog Post & Reply – 15%
Position Paper – 35%
Project Management Plan – 50%