With Australia expecting to need up to 16,600 additional Cyber Security workers by 2026, the Department of Defence has partnered with the Australian Government to provide the Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program – and our students made up a whopping 11 of the 50 successful applicants in the last round.
If you’re an Australian citizen already studying or currently enroling in an eligible cyber-related qualification, you can apply. There’s no obligation to serve or join the Defence Force. You can even keep working in your current job while participating in the program.
- Graduate Certificate in Cyber Security
- Master of Business Administration (Computing)
- Master of Cloud Computing and Virtualisation
- Master of Cyber Security
- Master of Networking and Systems Administration
The 12 month program includes:
- work experience placement with Defence in a cyber-related role
- professional membership to the Australian Computer Society
- your course fees*, textbooks and stationery costs covered
- an academic allowance to assist with your other costs
- travel costs for the recruitment process and work experience placements
- mentoring, networking and career opportunities
- ADF Cyber Gap Program Completion Certificate from the Joint Cyber Directorate
Muhammad Hasan, an IT Masters student who was successful in the 2020 ADF intake, recommends expressing that you understand the position is not paid employment but a program to assist a skills gap – this is what the DTA are looking for in a candidate. For more insider tips you can read Muhammad’s profile here.
The ADF program starts in January so if you’re on the fence, or aren’t accepted into the program, you can withdraw or defer before 5 February without paying any fees.
UPDATE: on 27 October the program was expanded to include a number of other courses, including Master Degrees*. The close date to apply for the ADF Cyber Gap program has been extended until 10 November.
Questions? Complete the contact form below (or fill out our eligibility form for a personalised entry assessment) and one of our team will contact you within 2 business days. You can also visit the ADF Cyber Gap Program website for more information.
AU: 1300 885 685
International: + 61 3 9581 2600
*Note: masters degree courses are subsidised up to a capped amount as offered to successful applicants. Costs will be covered for the 12-month period of the program only, which may equate to one year of a 2, 3 or 4-year program of study.
**Note: Neither IT Masters nor Charles Sturt University have an affiliation with the Australian Defence Force. You will need proof of enrolment in an eligible qualification to apply for the ADF Cyber Gap Program. The selection process into the Program is entirely the responsibility of the ADF and the Digital Transformation Agency.